Translate

Monday, October 17, 2016

Body rethink about - You are beautiful!

Images

thinner me 155
     Everyday you see images that can make you go "Wow, I want to look like that".  Yet, do we really know the real story behind the pictures.  Body dissatisfation is not a new concept.  There are many people who have a different idea of beauty.  This is common in both westernized and non-westernized cultures.  My son in kindergarten can home to tell me that one of his new friends were on a diet because they thought they were fat.  It was such a sad thought to be coming from someone so  young who is growing and changing daily.  Where do these thoughts come from?  Why can't we be happy with oneself?
heavier me 185
the other thinner me 135

Even for myself, I always felt that I was too heavy.  No matter what weight I was or what size I had been I always felt I was never good enough.  The term used for feeling this was is Body Dissatisfaction (BD) and it is a pretty big problem.  The way you feel can affect your mental state as well.  There is a range of adverse psychosocial outcomes, including depression,
eating disorders, obesity, and suicidal ideas and attempted suicide.  There is that of cultural values/norms regarding appearance that can typically be measured in terms of an individual’s perceptions of oneself and that of the pressures of society to meet the external standard of appearance.

 While individual-level perceptions are meaningful because they are likely to indicate the pass on of sociocultural values and disaggregating these group level ideals to the individual level has several serious implications. There are individuals within groups that tend to be more similar to each other than to out-group members in terms of their appearance-related experiences, values, and behaviors.




We cannot guarantee what we will be like when we grow up but genetics can play a big factor for our body type.  Studies show that the way western society view of a persons body plays a big factor in how one feel they look.  The way the body is shown in western society is very unrealistic and needs to be put out there as wrong.  In recent years there are some magazines breaking the mold and using bigger model sizes.  Good for them!

It doesn't matter the size of your body what matters is the size of your heart and mind.

No comments: