Translate

Monday, October 3, 2016

a look back into the past - poems from seventeenth century english verse








A pleasing look at what was written long before many could have the chance to look at a book yet alone be able to read it.  I had found a treasure among aisles of books in our local book store.  The year of print was that of 1920, Macmillan & Company, Limited St. Martin’s Street London.  The works were chosen by H. J. Massingham for the book A treasury of Seventeenth Century English Verse, From the Death of Shakespeare t the Restoration (1616-1660).  There were many that caught my eye, but you decide for yourself what you think.

do we really ever look what is around us?

            Upon a Funeral

To their long home the greatest princes go
In hearses dressed with fair escutcheons round,
The blazons of an ancient race, renowned
For deeds of valour; and in costly show
The train moves forward in procession slow
Towards some hallowed Fane; no common ground.
But the arched vault and tomb with sculpture crowned
Received and corse, with honours laid below,
Alas! Whate’er their wealth, their wit, their worth,
Such is the end of all the sons of Earth.

-Sir Joseph Beaumont (1583 – 1627)



the friends we keep where are they really?
            Drinking Song
I have been in love, and in debt, and in drink
This many and many a year!
And those are three plagues enough, any should think,
For one poor mortal to bear!
‘Twas love made me fall into drink;
And drink made me run into debt!
And though I have struggled, and struggled and strove;
I cannot get out of them yet!

There’s nothing but money can cure me;
And rid me of all my pain!
‘Twill pay all my debts;
And remove all my lets;
And my Mistress that cannot endure me,
Will love me and love me again!
Then I’ll fall to my loving and drinking amain*.

- Alexander Brome (1620 – 1666)


On that lonely path to where?

  To Death

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think’st thou dost over throw
Die not, poor Death; nor yet can’st thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which but they picture be,
Much pleasure, then from thee much more must flow;
And soonest our best men with thee do go –
Rest of their bones, and souls’ delivery!
Thou’rt slave to fate, chance, kings and desperate men.
And dost with poison, war and sickness dwell;
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better than they stroke.
Thy swell’st though then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

- John Donne (1573 – 1631)

 
even in the most explosive place life will live but may not thrive

Drop Golden Showers, Gentle Sleep

Drop golden showers, gentle sleep;
And all the angels of the night
Which do us in protection keep,
Make this queen dream of delight.
Morpheus, be kind a little, and be
Death’s now true image, for ‘twill prove
To this poor queen that thou art he.
Her grave is made I’th’ bed of love;
Thus with sweet sweets can Heaven mix gall,
And marriage turn to funeral.

- Thomas Goffe (1592 – 1627)



what kind of light will lead us into the right direction

Death Invoked

Why art thou slow, thou rest of trouble Death,
To sop a wretch’s breath.
That calls on thee, and offers her sad heart
A prey unto they dart?
I am nor young nor fair; be therefore, bold:
Sorrow hath made me old,
Deformed and wrinkled; all that I can crave
Is quiet in my grave.
Such as live happy, hold long life a jewel;
But to m thou art cruel,
If thou end not my tedious misery
And I soon cease to be.
Strike, and strike home, then; pity unto me,
In one short hour’s delay, is tyranny.

-Philip Massinger (1584 – 1639)

Dare to dream, live big and enjoy it all . . . .
Every day we live but do we really do what we can to make life really ours.  How are you making your mark in this life?  Do you lead or do you follow?  Are you trailblazer or a tail rider?  With death there is always a new beginning.  Get rid of what does not serve you, get on with what does and grab it with both hands and move! Always smell the roses, drink the coffee and experience all you can.  It doesn't have to be far, and you don't have to spend lots of money.  It is the little things in life that can be the most enjoyable.
 
 pictures by: Shelley "Silverwine" Hitch
1. Clouds of Rapid City, SD
2.  Full moon of Sturgis
3.  Cemetery in North Carolina

No comments: