Translate

Friday, January 8, 2016

Foodie Friday

Breakfast what does it mean to you?  For me, it is the best meal of the day.  I do not start with sticky rolls or eggs and toast every day.  I do something to get my body moving and keep it filled to lunch.  
O A T M E A L.

Some people say yuck while others go yeah! Then ask yourself what flavors do you like is it peaches and cream or maple and brown sugar? For me it's all about the wonderful things oatmeal does to help me live a better life.  I know this is foodie Friday but we have to think healthy once in a while too.  Since breakfast is my favorite time of day, I had to share.

My family has a genetic disposition to heart disease and I just do not want to have it or at least keep it at bay for as long as possible. Heart disease is so scary to me that I just don't want it so I am going to do what I can to help my body fight.

Here are some facts from the American Heart association about this dreadful disease.1
  • There is nearly 801,000 people in the U.S. that have died from heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases in 2013. That’s about 1 in 3 deaths within America. 
  • About 2,200 Americans die each day from these diseases, 1 every 40 seconds. 
  • Cardiovascular diseases claim more lives than any form of combined cancers. About 85.6 million Americans are living with some form of cardiovascular disease or the after effects of a stroke.
As plaque builds up in the arteries of a person with heart disease, the inside of the arteries begins to narrow, which lessens or blocks the flow of blood.
As plaque builds up in the arteries of a person with heart disease, the inside of the arteries begins to narrow, which lessens or blocks the flow of blood.  
Above is from the website on Heart Disease Facts at http://www.cdc.gov/HeartDisease/facts.htm.

This is what scares me the most.  My father has had some stints put in those type of clogged arteries to help the blood flow. Stints are like very durable straws doctors put into arteries to open clogged ones up.  There were some arteries that my dad had that were 98% blocked, closely related to what the last figure above on the right looks like.  So yes, oatmeal, if it helps I will eat it!

Dried Cherries to top
Pecans
It does not have to be difficult to make some oatmeal.  There are even the store brands that have quick and easy packages that you just add hot water to. You can take it in a to go mug. If you are in that big of a hurry you can't sit down for ten minutes to eat but really take that time.   The most delicious way I eat oatmeal is Old Fashion style.  
The big oats that take between 5 to 10 minutes to finish making.  It may be plain but that is where the fun starts.  Try some fresh fruit, nuts, honey or brown sugar. Curl your hair, for us ladies, shave, for you men just do something while you wait for the water to boil.  Add the oatmeal as recommended on the oatmeal container.  Let it continue to cook for about 5 minutes and Ta da you have oatmeal. 

The reason I eat this type of oatmeal, the old fashion oats, is because the package brands have more sugars and sodium that I should not have (If being predisposed to heart disease was not bad enough I have diabetes, had high blood pressure, almost have my triglycerides down from a really high level and the LDL (bad cholesterol) too high and the HDL ( the good cholesterol) too low.  
local honey from your area

So what is a girl to do?  Eat better.  So try it and give me a line on what oatmeal you like and what you put with it.  Do you have an alernative?

Next week we will talk soups!  For our cold Michigan nights and a very easy way to make it when you are off at work
Thanks for stopping by!

1. http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_480086.pdf

All pictures are done by, Silverwine.   

The skinny on what you get from old fashion oats - See what you are really eating
Check it out!

2 comments:

Heidi Whitaker said...

I always believed the old fashioned oats had more health benefits because they are not processed as much. I have never tasted the non-processed version (groats). I really like old fashioned oats though. Once I got used to them, I didn't like the instant stuff anymore.


SilverWine said...

Thank you for your comment. I understand your position on that. The only time I do eat the other is if I am in a pinch like on the road traveling. Many motels and hotels that have free breakfast include the package. Do you put anything different on your oats?